Tuesday, June 7, 2011

John Farnsworth Quintet

At Smoke last night they closed the third set with a reckless "Night in Tunisia." I loved it. Joe Farnsworth on drums hit it hard at the top, Andrew Beals on alto sax and John Farnsworth on tenor sax jumped on it, and I fell right into the music, right into the center of things, unable/unwilling to resist -- swept along careening down the side of the mountain. Dwayne Burno was on bass and Mike LeDonne on piano. The whole set had a loose, free flying feeling. Mike, Dwayne, and Joe played a wistful, gorgeous "For All We Know." Mike's skills are renowned and he never ceases to catch my ear, my interest, and sometimes he lets me into his undiscovered country. He reminds me of a great singer who hits the top of their voice and holds you there, tempting you, letting you know there is more, but you aren't going to get it - not this time. John's sax on Wes Montgomery's "So Do It" was swinging and full of John's wit and tenacity. Andrew's sax was subtle and scorching. And Dwayne, a soft-spoken, brilliant guy inhabits that bass. Click here to read an insightful, candid interview with Dwayne about his life and music. I will be at Smalls Sunday, June 12th, to see Grant Stewart. And don't forget my gig coming up on June 22nd in the Bronx. Go to my Facebook page for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment