Thursday, June 16, 2011

Grant Stewart Quartet at Smalls

I sat on a bar stool in Smalls Sunday night waiting for the music to start, watching the crowd come in ... one guy sat against the wall opposite me behind the piano and closed his eyes and danced in his seat during the entire set. A young woman sat behind the piano player, David Hazeltine, and shook his hand glowing when he said hello to her. Another young woman was taking notes. I get off on the sense of community, everyone in that room there for the live experience, which demands your presence and gives you so much if you can open to it.

Grant Stewart started out the first set with "Theme for Ernie" and I waited for the music to take me, to throw me, to land me somewhere else (looking for an escape maybe, huh?), but it didn't. It held me right there in that room with those guys -- Grant was joined by Hazeltine on piano, Joel Forbes on bass, and Quincy Davis on drums -- and then I remembered that was the point.

His next tune was a seductive, dazzling ballad, "Maybe September," each note longing, lingering, promising something. Grant is an elegant, powerhouse of a player. His spontaneity, wit, and charm came through in his music, and when he spoke to us about his song choices for the night.

I have heard David Hazeltine play many times and I am always completely hooked by his effortless playing -- cool, assured, and balanced.

Later in the set they did a knock out version of "Paradox," and I was enchanted, harpooned by "Shadow of Your Smile." Check out Grant's new album "Around The Corner" here.

No comments:

Post a Comment