Sunday, July 4, 2010

John Webber and the band

On Thursday night John Webber put together a mighty quartet of musicians. It was the first time at Ibiza for Rick Germanson on piano and Phil Stewart on drums. Joe Magnarelli on trumpet had been up to play for us a few weeks ago. I don't know when these particular four musicians have played together in the past, or if they have (I forgot to ask John) but it speaks to their level of musicianship that they could come together and make a night of jazz that was so moving and tight. John called two sets that flowed effortlessly. I loved "Manha de Carnaval" translated as "A Day In the Life of a Fool," a Brazilian song which appeared in the 1959 film "Black Orpheus." It had the perfect balance of emotion and complexity that hit me in my head and my gut and before I realized it I was inside the song being carried along. They also played "You've Changed" full of longing and passion. As you can probably tell, I dig the romance in jazz. Rick Germanson's playing was clean, fluid and completely accessible. The piano sounded simply beautiful. Check out his latest album "Off the Cuff." Phil Stewart on drums created a lovely dialogue with each of the other musicians. He stood very firmly right on the thin line of making his own statement and simultaneously supporting the band. Joe Magnarelli was fantastic, a powerhouse of a player, always interesting and unexpected. And last, but definitely not least, John Webber was a virtuoso on the bass -- long, graceful solos that built and transformed and kept leading me down the road with him and left me wanting more. We are so lucky to have these world-class guys coming up to the Bronx. Joe Farnsworth will be back at Ibiza Lounge this coming Thursday with more surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment